However, they are lovely with orange icing (recipe at end). The recipe can also be used for a lovely dessert cake baked in a square pan
100 g canola spread (or butter)
¾ cup caster sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1 ½ cups self-raising flour, sifted
Zest and juice of one lemon
1. Preheat oven to 180C. Prepare muffin tins
2. Beat eggs and sugar together until pale and creamy.
3. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well with each addition.
4. Fold in flour, lemon zest and lemon juice.
5. Spread into prepared tin
6. Bake 20 minutes
7. Cool in tins before turning out onto cooler.
If desired ice with Orange Icing:
1 cup of icing sugar, sifted
10g margarine or butter
1 tsp orange zest
2 tbs orange juice.
1. Combine icing sugar, butter, orange zest and juice in a heatproof bowl
2. Place over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until the icing is glossy and smooth,
3. When the muffins are completely cool drizzle icing over and allow to set.
Makes 12 muffins. Recipe can also be made into a cake using a square cake pan, and extending baking time to approximately 45 minutes.